Skip to main content

Welcome!

Welcome to Musings of a Kosher Cook!

My name is Miriam, and I love of all things related to food.  I love reading cookbooks, grocery shopping, visiting farmers' markets and food factories, watching cooking shows (especially cooking competitions!), and of course, cooking.  Cooking is a fantastic creative outlet for me, something I find relaxing, technical, challenging and rewarding all at the same time.  I starting helping my mother with cooking at about 4-5 years old (not sure how much help I actually was...), and by 11 years old I was cooking full meals.  My love of food ultimately influenced my decision to pursue a career as a registered dietitian, where I can combine this love with helping people live healthier lives.

A little while ago, a few people in my life independently suggested I write a blog about cooking.  One of these people was my husband, who sees daily how much I enjoy the cooking experience, and he suggested I share it with others.  I mulled over the idea for a month or so, and finally decided to go ahead and try it out.  So, here I am.

The idea behind Musings of a Kosher Cook is for it to be a place to share my thoughts on all things food related.  This is not limited to recipes, although they are likely to be something I discuss often.  I also intend to share thoughts on foods and food-related products, perhaps even restaurant experiences (though I don't eat out much), as well as cookbooks and other writings about food and chefs.  I keep kosher, so you won't find any posts regarding items containing pork, shellfish, or combinations of meat/poultry with dairy products.  However, I often take recipes that are not intended for a kosher cook, and adapt them to meet my preferences, so you may find some of that on these pages.

I have no expectations for how this project will develop.  What I do know, is that it's time for the sharing to begin.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Way to go! I can't wait to keep up with your writings. Blog away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soo cool! I will definitely keep tabs on this:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam was indeed very young (4-5 sounds about right) when she starting helping me in the kitchen but she surpassed my cooking ability a LONG time ago! She is a talented, varied and accomplished chef (her breads are indescribably delicious)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to many postings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chronicles of a garden

I grew up in a big city.  I guess the neighborhood where I lived as a kid is technically the suburbs, but it still has a big city feel due to the very close proximity to the city.  Big buildings.  Lots of cars.  Fast pace of life.  When I got married, my husband and I moved to a different area in the same city, a part that is somewhat more urban and less suburban than the area in which I grew up.  We liked the area, had friends there, and at that time, I worked nearby.  Yes, it was fast paced, but it was really all I ever knew as home. Fast forward a few years.  We were looking to move to New Jersey, but now we are specifically looking for a neighborhood that was very suburban.  What do I mean by that?  Little traffic, less overall congestion (not only cars but also buildings), a neighborhood that is easy to walk around, among other qualities.  But of utmost importance to us was a home with a big backyard. Backyards are great places.  Kids can create their own makeshift baseba

The 2019 Healthyish farmers' market challenge

I like to read the Healthyish portion of the Bon Appetit website (in addition to the majority of the site at large) because I never know what I'll find.  One day it's an article on edible face masks, the next I'm getting ideas of how to add vegetables to my breakfast.  But an article posted earlier this month got the wheels turning.  Termed "The 2019 Healthyish Farmers' Market Challenge", the article encourages people to try 10 in-season fruits and vegetables, and provides recipes to give people ideas of what to do with this produce. The fruits and vegetables in the challenge are: Summer squash Peaches Corn Mint Peppers Eggplant Cucumbers Tomatoes Swiss chard Berries I thought this was a really cool idea.  While several of the recipes look delicious, I decided to accept the challenge, but use the produce in whatever applications I wanted, and not to restrict myself to the 10 recipes provided.   So, what have I made so far, and what'