Skip to main content

2019 Farmers' Market Challenge, part 2

A couple weeks ago I wrote about the Bon Appetit 2019 Healthyish Farmers' Market Challenge.  I'm happy to say, I have completed the challenge by trying all 10 fruits/vegetables/herbs on their list.  I've already written about how I prepared some of them; this post is to let you know about the remaining few.

Mint
I prepared this minty limeade recipe from Bon Appetit, which was the one listed in the Challenge. I didn't think I liked fresh mint, but after drinking this I'm converted! With a hefty dose of mint leaves (see below, picked that morning!), the puckering acidity of the citrus, and just enough sweetness, this drink was just what I needed on a hot summer day. I used 2 liters of seltzer, which was perfect for our group.  I'm definitely looking forward to making this one again.



Swiss Chard
I feel like if you get great product, you shouldn't need to do much to it for the end result to be delicious.  I was looking for a way to prepare the rainbow chard in the picture above in a way that would enhance its flavor, while retaining the essence of the chard.  I made braised chicken thighs with acorn squash, using a recipe that calls for mustard greens.  The dish was quite tasty, particularly the salty/spicy/sweet/tart sauce that develops.  However, I felt like this same delicious sauce masked the flavor of the chard.  I also didn't care for the soggy limpness of the chard leaves once they were cooked.  Time to go to plan B.
Next, I tried a simple sauté of the chard leaves, with only a drizzle of olive oil and thinly sliced garlic, seasoning with salt and a little freshly cracked pepper, and finishing with a squeeze of half a lemon. I thought maybe this no-nonsence preparation would truly allow me to taste and enjoy the chard, with the added benefit that I could cook it to my desired wiltedness (is that even a word?), and without liquid, which I felt made the chard taste water-logged.
So, having tried two different preparations of rainbow chard, I have concluded it is not my preferred green.  I'm open to trying it again, but for now, I'll stick with chard's not-so-distant relative, Tuscan/Lacinato kale.  
As an aside, it killed me when every recipe for chard that I saw said to discard the tough stems; they are so beautiful!  What do you mean you can't put them in the dish???  Even recipes for pickling rainbow chard stems admit that they won't look beautiful once pickled.  There has got to be a better way to use such a gorgeous part of the vegetable such that it retains its beauty.  Alas...

Tomatoes
Even though the first few tomatoes in my garden ripened several weeks ago, it wasn't until this week that I had more than one tomato ripe at the same time.  So while I had some really great tomatoes to top my bagel and cream cheese or tuna sandwiches, it wasn't until today that I could make a nice tomato salad.  I cut 3 heirloom tomatoes into wedges, diced an orange bell pepper, halved and sliced 4 small pickling cucumbers (also from our garden), and quartered a handful of yellow cherry tomatoes.  I made a dressing of 1 small shallot, about 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, about 3 tablespoons olive oil, a pinch of salt and sprinkling of black pepper.  I tossed the vegetables with the dressing, adding a small handful of chopped parsley at the end.  The tomatoes were sweet, their texture perfect (all at once soft but not mealy, firm but not hard), and the finished dish so understated that the vegetables in their prime could sing the perfect song together.  The quintessential summer dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Welcome to Musings of a Kosher Cook! My name is Miriam, and I love of all things related to food.  I love reading cookbooks, grocery shopping, visiting farmers' markets and food factories, watching cooking shows (especially cooking competitions!), and of course, cooking.  Cooking is a fantastic creative outlet for me, something I find relaxing, technical, challenging and rewarding all at the same time.  I starting helping my mother with cooking at about 4-5 years old (not sure how much help I actually was...), and by 11 years old I was cooking full meals.  My love of food ultimately influenced my decision to pursue a career as a registered dietitian, where I can combine this love with helping people live healthier lives. A little while ago, a few people in my life independently suggested I write a blog about cooking.  One of these people was my husband, who sees daily how much I enjoy the cooking experience, and he suggested I share it with others.  I mulled over the idea f

Chronicles of a garden

I grew up in a big city.  I guess the neighborhood where I lived as a kid is technically the suburbs, but it still has a big city feel due to the very close proximity to the city.  Big buildings.  Lots of cars.  Fast pace of life.  When I got married, my husband and I moved to a different area in the same city, a part that is somewhat more urban and less suburban than the area in which I grew up.  We liked the area, had friends there, and at that time, I worked nearby.  Yes, it was fast paced, but it was really all I ever knew as home. Fast forward a few years.  We were looking to move to New Jersey, but now we are specifically looking for a neighborhood that was very suburban.  What do I mean by that?  Little traffic, less overall congestion (not only cars but also buildings), a neighborhood that is easy to walk around, among other qualities.  But of utmost importance to us was a home with a big backyard. Backyards are great places.  Kids can create their own makeshift baseba

The 2019 Healthyish farmers' market challenge

I like to read the Healthyish portion of the Bon Appetit website (in addition to the majority of the site at large) because I never know what I'll find.  One day it's an article on edible face masks, the next I'm getting ideas of how to add vegetables to my breakfast.  But an article posted earlier this month got the wheels turning.  Termed "The 2019 Healthyish Farmers' Market Challenge", the article encourages people to try 10 in-season fruits and vegetables, and provides recipes to give people ideas of what to do with this produce. The fruits and vegetables in the challenge are: Summer squash Peaches Corn Mint Peppers Eggplant Cucumbers Tomatoes Swiss chard Berries I thought this was a really cool idea.  While several of the recipes look delicious, I decided to accept the challenge, but use the produce in whatever applications I wanted, and not to restrict myself to the 10 recipes provided.   So, what have I made so far, and what'